This blog is just about my life and mostly revolves around my son, Jamie. This blog is a combination of everything, whether it may be a new recipe I tried, a good freebie I found, something funny Jamie said, or feelings I'm having about life in general. There's little rhyme or reason. I'll never win any blogging awards, but I enjoy writing about our lives and I mostly do it for my son. It's so easy to forget moments over the years. I've got all these little tidbits of our life in print and I hope that someday Jamie can enjoy them.

I called this blog Mother of Life, Mother of Loss because of my issues with pregnancy loss and the joy of finally bringing this wonderful person into the world. Truly, I feel the pains of loss, but you won't see too much of that here. I am blessed and I am, above all else, a mother of life.

After all the years of infertility and loss, Matthew and I were blessed with a surprise pregnancy. We were pregnant with twins, but unfortunately, Baby A could not stay with us. Baby B grew into a healthy and happy baby girl that we named Bella Marie. We are so blessed to have two beautiful children.


Sunday, April 19, 2009

Bee Holes

The bee picture came from here. This website has some information about carpenter bees. The pictures below are pictures I took of some of the wholes we filled tonight.







Our back porch has been a buzz with the fat little wood boring nightmares that are called carpenter bees. They terrorize the kids, though I've tried to tell them that they won't hurt them. I must admit they are big intimidating looking fellows, even if they don't sting. Even I flinch when one comes bearing down on me, much less five or six of them. The kids won't even go down the back stairs anymore, which is a problem since that's where they are allowed to play. That's where the swing set is at. That's where the basketball goal is.

Matthew and I are completely fed up with the buzzing bullies, so I googled the solution to the problem today. The pesticide free solution is to caulk or putty the holes.

We didn't get the kids settled until after 11:00pm so we didn't get to start our work on the back porch until shortly before midnight. I can't tell you how afraid I am of spiders. I'd rather run into a snake, a rat, or just about any other creature on this planet. The underside of our back porch had so many spider webs and I saw several spider. I had to chant, "This is for Jamie. This is for Jamie." as a mantra to get the nerve to crawl under the porch. Matthew and I worked for two hours filling up holes. I don't know if we got all of them, but we filled around forty holes. I can't believe how many holes there were. The majority of the holes were under the porch where it's not painted. Apparently carpenter bees don't like painted wood very much.

It's supposed to rain tomorrow. I really wish it wouldn't so we could see if we put a big dent in the bee population. I'm going to be so upset if we didn't.



1 Remarks:

Laura April 23, 2009 at 1:24 AM  

Today was the first pretty day since we plugged all the holes. I went outside to check on the bee situation and didn't see a single bee. Yeah!