This blog is just about my life and mostly revolves around my son, Jamie. This blog is a combination of everything, whether it may be a new recipe I tried, a good freebie I found, something funny Jamie said, or feelings I'm having about life in general. There's little rhyme or reason. I'll never win any blogging awards, but I enjoy writing about our lives and I mostly do it for my son. It's so easy to forget moments over the years. I've got all these little tidbits of our life in print and I hope that someday Jamie can enjoy them.

I called this blog Mother of Life, Mother of Loss because of my issues with pregnancy loss and the joy of finally bringing this wonderful person into the world. Truly, I feel the pains of loss, but you won't see too much of that here. I am blessed and I am, above all else, a mother of life.

After all the years of infertility and loss, Matthew and I were blessed with a surprise pregnancy. We were pregnant with twins, but unfortunately, Baby A could not stay with us. Baby B grew into a healthy and happy baby girl that we named Bella Marie. We are so blessed to have two beautiful children.


Sunday, February 8, 2009

Oven Roast and Potatoes

*One onion stuck to the lid


I usually make my roast in the crockpot. I just love the flavor of a roast that has cooked all day in beef broth with potatoes and onions. My husband and my son are not as fond of this as I am. Today I fixed the roast in the oven. I had made it this way the other day and Matthew didn't get to try it. The kids almost ate the whole roast (sans one slice for me) by themselves.




Preheat oven to 300°


Place the Roast in a pan or casserole dish. *I used an eye of round roast.

Slice up an onion and cover the top of the roast, using toothpicks to hold them in place.

Cut up potatoes into hunks and place around the roast. *I remove the
skins because my husband won't eat the skins. You can leave them on if you
want.

Season dish as you desire. *I just used salt and pepper this time.

Cover and bake for approximately three hours or until done. *We like our meat well done with no pink. I go for an internal temperature of at least 180°. I cooked this roast for three and a half hours and reached an internal temperature of 200°.


Dinner was a big hit. Matthew ate five or six slices. Jamie didn't eat as much as last time I made it, but he ate good. The potatoes were so rich with flavor from the roast. The great thing about a meal like this is that it's fast to get ready and then you just leave it cooking and go on to do other things.



I think about my grandmother often when I cook. She taught me the building blocks of cooking when I was smaller than Jamie. Unfortunately, I was too busy exploring exotic cuisine and extravagant dishes to pay any attention to her old fashioned, every day meals. Now that I'm grown I make simple meals for several reasons. The two main ones are expense and time. I often long for some of the foods she used to prepare. If only I had taken the time to pay attention to how she made these foods. I could be making them for my own family. It's too late now. She passed away before I was married. Her cooking methods and recipes are lost forever. There are a few dishes I know how to make, like her meatloaf balls, but most of them I don't have a clue how to make. I hope Jamie remembers my cooking as fondly as I remember my grandmothers. I'll make sure he has the recipes in case he doesn't pay attention while he has the opportunity.


0 Remarks: